We’ve been living in Austin for 9 months now. Here’s a list of things I learned about the state of Texas and in particular, the city of Austin:
1. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in this state is a hard-line, right wing, Republican.
2. Concurrent with popular belief, nearly everyone in this state possesses at least 1 firearm.
3. Finding a bad BBQ restaurant here is more difficult than deciding on the best BBQ restaurant.
4. But everyone knows the best BBQ is in Lockhart, TX.
5. Most people in Texas, in Austin and Houston especially, cannot drive (this coming from someone who lived in Los Angeles for 5 years).
6. In the city of Austin, everyone has worked or will at some point, work for Dell.
7. Don’t waste your time with the local weather report.
8. The 360 loop in Austin is some of the worst road in Texas. Avoid it at all costs.
9. Don’t be surprised when total strangers ask you about your day. Nearly everyone here is generally very friendly.
10. Shiner Bock beer is perhaps the best beer in the world.